CICERO, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — An off-duty Syracuse Polie officer is being credited with saving two dogs from a house fire.
Just after 2 p.m. on July 16, Officer James Nowodworski was driving on Guy Young Road when he saw heavy smoke coming from a home on the road. He got inside the home and after not finding anyone in the home, he was able to bring the two dogs to safety.
The Brewerton Fire Department arrived on the scene and was able to contain the fire to a garage.
No first responders, or dogs, were injured.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- New York State troopers find cocaine in Lucky Charms boxes during Thruway stop
- Vehicle fire prompts brief closure of part of I-81 South
- WATCH: Rain moves back into CNY Thursday followed by some snow
- Less than a week: Key dates as we approach Election Day
- Data Chart: Nearly 25% of registered voters in Onondaga Co. have voted already
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9.