SYLVAN BEACH, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — A woman is dead and a man is in critical condition following what is believed to be carbon monoxide poisoning on a boat.
Around 2:30 p.m. on Monday, State Police responded to Canal Street in Sylvan Beach. The Sylvan Beach Fire Department found a male and female on the boat, which was docked along the Erie Canal.
On the boat, officials found William R. Lashomb, 36, of Bridgeport, and Blair M.Dodge, 34, of Central Square.
Dodge was pronounced dead on the boat. Lashomb was taken to the hospital in critical condition. Syracuse Police confirm Lashomb is a member of the Syracuse Police Department.
Initial reports say the pair were staying on the boat overnight and were overcome by carbon monoxide. Investigators are trying to determine how that happened.
“Family members were concerned because the woman’s work was looking for her and she didn’t show up for work. Friends and other relatives were able to start looking for them and friends actually knew that he might be on a boat and they happened to come up here on the pier, noticed the boat was still docked,” said Trooper Jack Keller of the New York State Police.
The incident is not considered suspicious and the investigation is ongoing.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- ‘Reject hate and division,’ Democratic VP nominee tells South Texas border rally
- Tijuana trick-or-treaters and Halloween party-goers told to stay home
- New York State Police crackdown on impaired drivers this Halloween weekend
- ‘Decisive’ or ‘disastrous’: Fate of Trump’s immigration policies rests on voters
- San Diego County using Día de los Muertos to honor COVID-19 victims
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9.