SYRACUSE, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — The winter season is right around the corner and Syracuse firefighters are bringing a little warmth to local students ahead of the holiday season.
Members of Local 280, the firefighters union, handed out new coats to more than a hundred students at Delaware School. It was all a part of Operation Warm, a day where firefighters are able to help those in need.
“We see a lot of conditions and it’s pretty sad and upsetting to the firefighters, so when there’s an opportunity for our firefighters to give back, especially around the holidays, they try to do their best to make a positive impact on people who may not have or be as fortunate as other people,” said Syracuse Fire Chief Michael Monds.
Firefighters raise money throughout the year to make Operation Warm a success.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- Syracuse University student protesters issued interim suspensions
- Lake effect returns to CNY Wednesday and Thursday, alerts issued
- Bishop Ludden races past Bishop Grimes in boys hoops
- Nottingham boys knock off Liverpool in regular season finale
- FORECAST: Morning snow transitions to rain by the afternoon
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9