OSWEGO COUNTY, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — The Oswego County Health Department will try again Tuesday night to conduct aerial spraying over 10,000 acres along the Toad Harbor Swamp.
The spraying has been postponed three times due to weather.
The spraying is scheduled for tonight over part of Hastings, West Monroe and Constantia between 6 and 9 p.m.
The county health department is hoping to reduce the number of mosquitoes carrying EEE, which can cause serious health problems. The department says one horse has died from EEE in the Town of West Monroe.
Here is what you need to know to keep you and your kids safe if you are in the spray area:
- Stay indoors and keep windows and doors closed between 6 and 10 p.m.
- Close the vents on window air conditions
- Don’t forget to bring pets inside
- Remove outdoor toys, furniture and clothing from clotheslines
- If you’re traveling through the area, close your car windows and vents
Even after the spraying, you should still be protecting yourself from possible bug bites. People should limit their outdoor activities around dawn and dusk and use bug spray.
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9