OSWEGO COUNTY, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — Neighbors in Oswego County got the chance to speak out for and against Sheriff Don Hilton over the recent controversy surrounding a President Donald Trump flag.
The flag was flown aboard one of the county’s marine patrol boats during a Trump flotilla.
Hilton was noticeably absent during Thursday’s county legislature meeting. Those for and against the sheriff spoke out during the public comment period of the meeting.
One neighbor said: “The truth is, he knows his actions are wrong. A man with integrity would admit his error in judgment.”
Another neighbor, Joe Saltalamachia, said the following: “When someone’s trying to be a nice guy and does something and now he’s gonna get crucified for it? No, I don’t like that, don’t like that.”
Hilton recently said that elections are for those who felt offended by the Trump flag.
Hilton released the following statement on Thursday afternoon:
More from NewsChannel 9:
- Le Moyne College planning events to steer students away from large gatherings this Halloween weekend
- Are the stock markets concerned that we could see another lockdown?
- Family Healthcast: Survival rates for COVID-19 significantly improved from March to August
- Syracuse University students to be tested for COVID-19 before break
- As COVID-19 surges in Iowa, Congress still can’t pass relief
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9.