SYRACUSE, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — A startling new report finds Syracuse has the highest Multiple Sclerosis diagnosis rate in the country.
A study by Blue Cross Blue Shield found the MS diagnosis rate in Syracuse in 2017 was 45 per 10,000 commercially insured people. By comparison, the national rate was 24 per 10,000 people, while the rate for New York State was 31 per 10,000 people.
MS is a disease of the central nervous system that disrupts the body’s ability to send neurological signals within and between the brain and other parts of the body. The cause is unclear and there is no cure, but there are medications that can slow the course and progression of the disease.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- Happy Birthday to our Champions for Saturday, November 16
- News on the Go for Saturday, November 16th
- F-M boys and girls win state titles at Cross Country meet
- Skaneateles boys soccer teams advances to state finals
- C-NS hits last second field goal to advance to state semifinals
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9