SYRACUSE, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — A startling new report finds Syracuse has the highest Multiple Sclerosis diagnosis rate in the country.
A study by Blue Cross Blue Shield found the MS diagnosis rate in Syracuse in 2017 was 45 per 10,000 commercially insured people. By comparison, the national rate was 24 per 10,000 people, while the rate for New York State was 31 per 10,000 people.
MS is a disease of the central nervous system that disrupts the body’s ability to send neurological signals within and between the brain and other parts of the body. The cause is unclear and there is no cure, but there are medications that can slow the course and progression of the disease.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- WATCH: Feeling more like summer Thursday
- 2020 Four star recruit Frank Anselem chooses Syracuse
- Highlights from Home 6-3-20
- Advocates call for expanding mail-in voting to counter COVID-19 fears
- Debate over change to police records law continues in NYS
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9