SYRACUSE, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — A startling new report finds Syracuse has the highest Multiple Sclerosis diagnosis rate in the country.
A study by Blue Cross Blue Shield found the MS diagnosis rate in Syracuse in 2017 was 45 per 10,000 commercially insured people. By comparison, the national rate was 24 per 10,000 people, while the rate for New York State was 31 per 10,000 people.
MS is a disease of the central nervous system that disrupts the body’s ability to send neurological signals within and between the brain and other parts of the body. The cause is unclear and there is no cure, but there are medications that can slow the course and progression of the disease.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- Mexican lawmen get FBI training to combat organized crime, terrorism
- Deported combat veterans open their doors to former soldiers in exile
- Supermodel Emme Helps Raise Awareness of Heart Health
- CNY Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Answers Questions About Breast Augmentation
- Trick-or-Treat Lunch Ideas
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9