CAMILLUS, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — Syracuse Police closed down parts of Camillus Commons Tuesday night upon finding a suspect they were looking for who had committed a crime.
Police say around 8:30 p.m., they were looking for a suspect when officers found him in the parking lot off of West Genesee Street.
When they tried to stop him, he crashed his vehicle. They then found the suspect in the car with what appeared to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
According to Sgt. Matthew Malinowski, the suspect was being looked at for a robbery and charges are pending.
As of Wednesday, the suspect was still in the hospital with serious injuries.
There were at least two dozen police officers at the scene and no officers were injured.
Camillus Police added that there was no threat to the public.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- 20-year-old Patrick Penfield finally feeling ‘100%’ after test shows he’s recovered from COVID-19
- Democrats propose ways to oversee Trump administration’s response to COVID-19
- WATCH: Some clouds tonight but we will stay dry
- Onondaga Co. Executive talks about social distancing in the county
- US Rep. Bill Huizenga hopes to give front liners tax relief
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9