CAMILLUS, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — Syracuse Police closed down parts of Camillus Commons Tuesday night upon finding a suspect they were looking for who had committed a crime.
Police say around 8:30 p.m., they were looking for a suspect when officers found him in the parking lot off of West Genesee Street.
When they tried to stop him, he crashed his vehicle. They then found the suspect in the car with what appeared to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
According to Sgt. Matthew Malinowski, the suspect was being looked at for a robbery and charges are pending.
As of Wednesday, the suspect was still in the hospital with serious injuries.
There were at least two dozen police officers at the scene and no officers were injured.
Camillus Police added that there was no threat to the public.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- WATCH: Warm with a widely scattered shower or two
- Paving project on I-81 to affect traffic in Onondaga County and Oswego County
- Staying safe during the Fourth of July weekend
- State police nab 3 with illegal weapons on Thruway traffic stop
- Syracuse football lands three-star quarterback from California
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9