Reports: Barcelona death toll at 13, 2 suspects arrested

Local News
Barcelona van attack scene_1502988330632_287652_ver1.0_640_360_1502990504200.jpg

The number of deaths in the Barcelona terror attack is up to 13, and and least 50 are injured.

The incident took place Thursday afternoon near the popular tourist area of Las Ramblas, which has been sealed off, according to a police spokesman.

Officials said several people have been injured. They were unable to give a motive for the incident.

Two suspects have been arrested.

Catalan police told everyone in the vicinity of Plaça de Catalunya to remain inside.

Reuters reported that local emergency services have requested the closure of metro and train stations in the vicinity of the incident. Police told people to avoid the area.

A witness told local media the situation was “very tense” and that all surrounding shops were being evacuated. The witness said at least eight ambulances were at the scene. Emergency services said the area had been cordoned off and all public transportation stopped.

Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy tweeted: “In contact with all administrations. Priority: tend to the injured in Las Ramblas and facilitate the work of security forces.”

The US Consulate in Barcelona posted on Twitter: “We are aware of a reported incident at Las Ramblas in Barcelona. Please avoid the area and monitor local police @mossos for updates.”

Developing story – more to come

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Live Doppler 9 Map Center

CNY View

CNY View

CNY View

Oswego Area

Oswego Area

Syracuse Area

Syracuse Area