SYRACUSE, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — The Rosamond Gifford Zoo in Syracuse has a new addition. On Friday, the zoo introduced a female Patas monkey named Iniko.
The Patas monkeys are found in Central Africa.
Sadly, Onondaga County Executive Ryan McMahon says the baby’s mother, Rebecca, passed away during birth. Veterinarians from Cornell University were on hand for the delivery.
For the last three months, the team at the zoo has raised Iniko by hand. She’ll still be bottle-fed until she is about six-months-old, so the team has been making special formulas to make sure she’s healthy.
The zoo says only a few zoos in the country can keep Patas monkeys.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- 2 dead in Alabama naval aircraft crash
- Utica Fire Department, Oneida County to start ‘leaving behind’ Narcan after responding to overdose calls
- Cayuga County Sheriff: Deputy released from hospital, suspect still barricaded inside home
- Despite Democratic roadblocks, Senate moves forward with Trump’s Supreme Court nomination
- ‘I feel fantastic’: Arnold Schwarzenegger undergoes heart surgery at Cleveland Clinic
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9.