(WSYR-TV) — Normally, the lower fly fishing zone on the Salmon River is open from now until May of next year, but it will be different this fall.
It’s all part of a new plan to protect the fish.
The DEC announced that the hot spot will remain closed until further notice in an effort to save more salmon eggs.
The Salmon River supports the largest fall runs of salmon and trout in New York. This makes it one of the state’s most heavily fished waters.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- Sweet, energetic Terrier Pit Bull mix hopes to connect with forever family: Petsavers
- Happy Birthday to our Champions for Sunday, September 27th!
- News on the Go for Sunday, September 27th
- WATCH: Feeling more like July than September
- Patriots look to rebound as they host 2-0 Raiders
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9.