Sheriff Barry Virts held a news conference Wednesday afternoon after new charges have been filed against a man in the death of his girlfriend and her infant son.
Tuesday, the sheriff did disclose new details in the case:
- Deputies believe both Selena and Owen were murdered at the Joy Road farm.
- Investigators believe Selena and Owen were killed around the same time, sometime between May 16, when they were last seen alive, and May 23.
- No weapon was recovered in the case, BUT the sheriff wouldn’t say whether or not a weapon was used.
- As previously reported, during interviews with deputies, the sheriff says Reyes admitted to moving Selena’s body. Tuesday, the sheriff disclosed that Reyes never spoke about Owen.
- The skeletal remains found on Oct. 15 have been positively identified as Owen’s through DNA analysis.
- Deputies haven’t been able to interview suspect Alberto Reyes since May 22/23. Those interviews were recorded, the sheriff says, and will be used in the trial.
Alberto Reyes was just recently charged with charged with two counts of murder along with two counts of tampering with physical evidence.
The Sheriff did not provide new information on the case at the press conference.
Deputies say Reyes killed 18-year-old Selena Hidalgo–Calderon and her son Owen in May and buried their bodies in a wooded area near a farm in Sodus off Joy Road.
Selena’s body was found in May days after a missing person report was issued for her and her baby. However, it was months before deputies were able to find the body of her 14-month-old son.
Investigators said Reyes was spotted on trail cameras walking in and out of the woods with a shovel.
Deputies said Reyes admitted to moving and burying Selena’s body, but didn’t admit to killing her.
“I wish we could have come to a conclusion earlier but we didn’t but the one thing I want to say is that the deputy sheriffs, the detectives, again, our law enforcement collaboration, with all our partners, we didn’t quit, we didn’t give up and we kept going after this,” Virts said.
Reyes is being held in Wayne County Jail without bail.
Selena’s mother issued the following statement:
Statement from Estela Calderon (Selena Hidalgo-Calderon’s mother and Owen’s grandmother)on Reyes being charged with their murder @News_8 pic.twitter.com/pzhrf0SPwC— Jeannie McBride (@jeanniemcbride_) December 19, 2018