SYRACUSE, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — The Syracuse Police Department and Le Moyne Campus Security have shared that an arrest has been made after a burglary and sexual assault the morning of June 7 in a Le Moyne Campus townhome.
Jerel Walker, a 35-year-old man, was charged with:
- Rape in the first degree
- Burglary in the first degree
- Sexual abuse in the first degree
- Menacing in the second degree
- Criminal possession in the third degree
- Assault in the third degree
- Attempted Criminal Sexual Act in the first degree
Syracuse Police Chief Joseph Cecile has confirmed that Jerel Walker has been charged at least 65 times since 2004, including charges for theft, weapons, and burglary.
According to Le Moyne Campus Security, the suspect entered a first floor window of a Le Moyne College townhouse around 5:30 a.m. and sexually assaulted a student inside.
Anyone with information is asked to call Syracuse Police at (315) 442-5200 or Le Moyne Campus Security at (315) 445-4444.
Le Moyne Campus Security remind residents to take the following precautions to promote safety and security:
- Do not let people piggy back and gain access to your residence hall
- Make sure your card access door closes behind you
- Lock your residence hall dorm when not occupied
- Lock all exterior doors and windows if you live in a house or apartment
- Store valuables in secure locations
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Look out for your neighbors
- Report suspicious activity