Syracuse Fire Department responds to warehouse for high carbon monoxide levels

Local News

SYRACUSE, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — Fire crews were called to a Byrne Dairy sold storage warehouse at 606 Oneida Street for an alarm activation on Sunday.

Crews found smoke and carbon monoxide detectors had been activated and initial reports were that a refrigerant system was leaking, officials said.

An employee that was believed to be inside the building was unaccounted for, according to the Syracuse Fire Department.

The Syracuse Fire Department’s Hazardous Materials Response Team was called to the scene, and quickly make entry, wearing chemical protective suits.

The building was checked for occupants and none were found, officials said.

A refrigerant leak was ruled out, but carbon monoxide levels in the building were determined to be dangerously high.

The fire department said the missing employee was later located elsewhere and the CO levels in the warehouse were ultimately attributed to a condition created by battery chargers.

The building was thoroughly ventilated and has returned to normal operations.

No injuries were reported.

The original article stated that the warehouse was owned by Byrne Dairy, that was based on information from the Syracuse Fire Department. Byrne Dairy sold the facility several years ago.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Future of 81

Live Doppler 9 Map Center

CNY View

CNY View

CNY View

Oswego Area

Oswego Area

Syracuse Area

Syracuse Area