SYRACUSE, NY (WSYR-TV) — The officers involved in the shooting on Grant Boulevard on Tuesday have been identified as officers Brandon Hanks and Joseph LeBlanc.
Syracuse Police say the two officers fired their weapons, and at least one hit 22-year-old Michael Viola on New Year’s Eve.
The District Attorney’s Office says Viola was threatening family members in a home with a hatchet before police arrived. He threatened officers with the same hatchet before they tased and eventually shot him.
The DA’s Office also says Viola has a criminal record with menacing and weapons charges from October of 2018.
He was last listed in critical, but stable, condition at Upstate University Hospital.
You may remember officer Hanks after he gained national attention when his videos of challenging kids to a game of basketball went viral. If officer Hanks won the game, the kid would have to do pushups, but if the kid won, officer Hanks would buy them a new pair of shoes.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- Player Profile: Kyler Fackrell
- Trump, Biden campaign on same turf in battleground Florida
- Check Your Batteries During Daylight Saving Time
- Local 91-year-old man encouraging everyone to get out and cast their vote
- Le Moyne College planning events to steer students away from large gatherings this Halloween weekend
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9