SYRACUSE, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — In a Friday afternoon announcement, Syracuse Mayor Ben Walsh reiterated the need for federal funding to help the city deal with the financial shortfalls due to the coronavirus pandemic.
One small step to ease the financial strain, which Walsh admitted was difficult, was placing 104 city workers on temporary unpaid leave.
This action is projected to save the city between $20,000 to $30,000 per week.
Walsh says most of the employees are crossing guards and are in the Parks and Recreation Department.
You can watch the entire briefing below:
More from NewsChannel 9:
- SUNY Binghamton resuming in-person learning on Thursday, Oct. 22
- Bills trying to stay level-headed after losing two straight
- Single car crash takes out utility pole in Cortland
- Masks greatly reduce size of ‘cough clouds,’ study finds
- DEA takes down 29 El Paso gang members linked to violent Mexican drug cartels
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9.