VERONA BEACH, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) – Crews from several departments responded to a fire at a popular restaurant in Verona Beach Sunday morning.
The call at ‘Spaghetti Factory’ came in around 5:00 a.m. with fire crews from Wampsville, Sylvan Beach, Canastota, Vienna, New London, Durhamville and other surrounding areas responding.
“The restaurant was not a total loss and the owners are fortunate it wasn’t worse,” said Sylvan Beach First Assistant Chief Duane Jackson.
Jackson said the fire started when a piece of kitchen equipment malfunctioned, sparking a fire in the kitchen ventilation hoods.
The fire then spread to the walls and roof.
It took crews several hours to put all the fire out.
In a Facebook post, the restaurant regrettably informed customers that they would not be open in the immediate future. They also thanked the volunteer firefighters, in particular, Sylvan Beach Volunteer firefighter Austin Brown who spotted the fire on his way into work.
A portion of State Route 13 between Spencer Avenue and Lakeshore Road was closed Sunday morning but has since reopened.
This is a developing story and will be updated as more information becomes available.