SYRACUSE, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — Veterans Day is observed on November 11, because that was the date of the Armistice in World War I, bringing the fighting in the bloody war to a close. Since then Armistice Day in the U.S. as evolved into a day where we honor the men and women who have served in our armed forces in war and peace.
America’s veterans became national leaders, gave shape to the communities of Central New York, and helped fuel an economic boom.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- Pet hospice services help manage pain, anxiety and tough decisions in final days
- LIVE: Trump to speak at CPAC in first post-White House appearance
- Oswego County SPCA to offer home visits by the Easter bunny
- New York State COVID-19 hospitalizations continue to decrease
- Variants and vaccines: How worried should we be?
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9