SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. (NEWS10) — Family, friends, and staff gathered outside of Saratoga Hospital for a very special homecoming.
Tom Cappelletti spent nearly four weeks in the hospital after being diagnosed with COVID-19. His battle was complicated because the virus wasn’t his only fight.
“He got an infection and that was the driving force that got him in here. His body started to shut down it got in his organs,” said Judy Siechen, Tom’s sister.
Cappelletti was sedated for two weeks and couldn’t see his family in person. On Wednesday, he was released from the hospital and sent home with applause for overcoming his battle.
Cappelletti is an East Syracuse native.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- Impact of pandemic on breast cancer funding and screening
- WATCH: Cooler weather to end the week
- Where are they now?: Terry Smith
- Family Healthcast: How is Cornell University keeping COVID-19 cases low?
- Roundhill Group takes over Remington Arms
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9.