The 42nd Boilermaker 15K Road Race will be held on July 14, 2019 at 8 a.m. The race is a 9.3-mile tour of Utica. According to the Boilermaker, it “takes participants from the start line at ECR International, along the Memorial Parkway, up through Valley View Country Club and Golf Course, back onto the Memorial Parkway, along upper Genesee Street, turning onto Shepherd Place, Sunset Avenue and then onto Burrstone Road passing the Utica College Campus. The course then comes down Champlin Avenue, Whitesboro and Court Streets, and concludes at the F.X. Matt’s Brewery. The 5K course starts on Burrstone Road near York Street (at the 10K point of the 15K.) The 5K course is the last third of the Boilermaker 15K.” Last year, 82% of those that entered the race finished.
The Boilermaker 5K begins at 7:30 a.m. It was originally created for those who wanted to run the Boilermaker course, but felt they weren’t quite ready for the full length. This race was started in 2000.
There is also a Wheelchair 15K, which begins at 7:45 a.m. This race began in 1980 with only five athletes. In 2018, 49 athletes competed in the race.Back to top
Water Stations in order from the starting line
- MacClark Restaurants & Boy Scout Troop 8 – 1130 Culver Ave.
- Kiwanis – 1111 Parkway
- Valley View Volunteers – Utica Parks Garage
- The Genesis Group & Bank of America – Overlook Point/Valley View
- Coldwell Banker Faith Properties – Parkway
- Utica Zoo – Parkway and Zoo Entrance
- Whitestown Jaycees – Parkway Rec Center
- CABVI – Utica School District Officers
- Getaway Travel/Catskill Water – Genesee St. neat Pin-O-Rama
- New Vision – Excelsior Chapter Pioneers – Shepherd Place at Genesee St.
- Mountainside Medical Equipment – Shepherd Place at Fire House
- Mohawk Valley Health System – Sunset Ave. and Burrstone Rd.
- NYS DOT – Burrstone Rd. at Utica College
- National Grid – Burrstone Rd. and Champlin Ave.
- Utica College Alumni Association – Champlin Ave. and Utica College
- House of the Good Shepherd – Champlin Ave.
- Yorkville Fire Dept. & YWCA – Champlin Ave. and Graham Ave.
- Beta Sigma Phi – Champlin Ave. and Whitesboro St.
- Harry’s Brakes & MetLife – Whitesboro St. and McBride Ave.
- GE Ski Club – Whitesboro St. – Kernan Fire House
- Resurrection Life Church – Varick St.
- Start Line
- 1112 Culver Ave.
- Corner of Sherman & Parkway East
- Corner of Parkway East & Harrison
- Utica Parks Garage
- Over Look Point (Valley View)
- Corner of Parkway & Seymour
- Parkway Near Tennis Courts
- UFCW Building (on Parkway)
- Corner of Genesee & Parkway
- Corner of Shepard & Sunset
- Faxton Hospital
- Burrstone Rd. (York St. Exit)
- Burrstone Rd (Utica College Entrance)
- Corner of Burrstone & Champlin
- St. Lukes Hospital
- House of Good Shepherd
- Corner of Champlin & Graham
- Corner of Champlin & Whitesboro
- Harry’s Brake Service
- Whitesboro St. (Kernan Fire House)
- Corner of Cross & Court
- Corner of Court & Lenox
- Corner of Court & Schuyler
- Corner of Sunset & Spring
Law enforcement will close the entire course at 6:00 AM. Only official vehicles will be permitted along the course at that time. Some intersections will remain open and law enforcement will assist with the crossing of intersections but vehicles will not be able to drive on the course. Additionally, some portions of the course will close at earlier times due to logistics and security concerns. A list of roadway closure times and designated cross intersections are listed below:
15K Start Area Road Closures 5:30 AM on the morning of Sunday July 14th:
- Route 5S westbound at Culver ramp
- Dwyer Ave. (entire road)
- Beechgrove Place from Gilbert Street to Florence Street
- Culver Ave from Bleecker Street north
5K Start Area Road Closures 5:30 AM on the morning of Sunday July 14th:
- Routes 12/8/5 at Burrstone Road all entrances and exits
- Burrstone Road from Sunset Ave to Old Burrstone Road
Finish Area Road Closures 2:00 AM on the morning of Sunday July 14th:
- Court Street from Schuyler Street to Fay Street
- Varick Street (entire road)
- Columbia Street from Varick Street to Schuyler Street
- Whitesboro Street from Lafayette Street to Schuyler Street
- Lafayette Street west of Varick Street
The following intersections will remain open for cross traffic until 7:00 AM:
- Welshbush Road
- Albany Street
- Sherman Drive
- Oneida Street
- Genesee Street
- Campbell Ave until 6:45 AM
5K Shuttle Service:
Runners can park at Con-Med on Chenango Road at French Road in Utica and then ride the shuttle to the 5K start. 6:00 am to 6:45 am
15K Shuttle Service:
Birnie Bus pick-ups are located:
1. Near the finish line at the corner of Court and State Streets.
2. Near the rear of the Post Race Party area on Whitesboro Street.
Please note that buses begin running at 5:30AM and stop running to the starting line at 7:00AM. Please arrive early.
Participants, attendees and volunteers traveling to the Post Race Party area are encouraged to park on public roadways east of State Street.Back to top
- Lelisa Desisa- Ethiopia 42:46 2010 (Course Record)
- Joseph Kimani- Kenya 42:40 1996 (Event Record)
- Edna Kiplagat – Kenya 47:57 2010 (Course and Event Record)
- Andrew Masai – Kenya 44:56 2000
- Edith Masai – Kenya 50:40 2002
*Numbers for 2019 current as of June 25, 2019
All information and images are courtesy of the Boilermaker. Visit their website at http://www.boilermaker.com/.Back to top