OSWEGO COUNTY, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) – -The federal government is stepping in to fight the war on drugs in Central New York. The White House Office of National Drug Control Policy added Oswego County to its list of high intensity drug trafficking areas.
Oswego County Sheriff Don Hilton tells NewsChannel 9 that the feds stepping in will be huge for the county as fat as getting additional resources.
A lack of funding has made the job significantly more challenging for local law enforcement.
Oswego County now joins Onondaga and Oneida County on the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy List of high intensity drug trafficking areas.
The federal government will not provide funding that will pay for more officers, analysts and other things needed to combat the drug issues.
Oswego County is now the 26th county in New York to get this type of federal assistance.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- Salina resident is first case of West Nile virus in a person in Onondaga County this season
- National Grid will give you money as part of appliance recycling program
- Local Company, Intellipure helps people breath better
- Western NY high school student pulled out of class as immunization law takes effect
- New initiative working to connect businesses with employees