SYRACUSE, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — Victoria Afet, 23, is facing charges of first-degree murder and burglary in the death of 93-year-old Connie Tuori at the Skyline Apartments.
This is not Afet’s first run-in with the law. In fact, Onondaga County District Attorney William Fitzpatrick said the list of her arrests from 2020 is extensive.
“Arrests in March, April, May, June, July, August, August, August, October of 2020,” Fitzpatrick explained.
Earlier this year in January, Fitzpatrick said Afet was sentenced to nine months in jail, but was released because of time served. Since then, she’s added to her criminal record.
“Indicted for assault, a failure to appear, arrested on February 18, 2021, for a strong-armed robbery of a 74-year-old woman, ironically enough, at the Skyline Apartments. A crime captured on videotape,” Fitzpatrick said.
Fitzpatrick said less than 24 hours after her February 18 arrest, Afet was released, despite objections from his office. The DA said a week later, Afet allegedly murdered Connie Touri on February 26.
According to State Police, Afet was arrested for driving two different stolen cars on February 26 and February 28.
“When you look at the activity of this individual and the types of crimes she was committing and the fact that she was on the street, I think that we all have to take a look to see how we could possibly make opportunities for improvement,” said Syracuse Police Chief Kenton Buckner.
The DA said no other arrests have been made in the murder of Tuori.
Below is a timeline of Afet’s run-ins, provided by the Syracuse Police Department:
- 3/7/20: Punched and kicked victim. Appearance ticket issued
- 4/10/20: Steals car – Not apprehended
- 5/28/20: Larceny from Rite Aid. Pulls knife on a person when confronted
- 6/6/20: Broke window with a hammer. Released on own recognizance
- 6/11/20: Petit larceny at Dollar Tree. Issued appearance ticket
- 6/16/20: Charged in Rite Aid incident. Bail set
- 7/16/20: Pleads to larceny. Sentenced to time served and three years probation
- 8/16/20: Gets into a fight with a male on Highland Street and stabs victim in the head. Victim is uncooperative
- 8/22/20: Smashes victim’s head on a tree on Highland Street. Bail is set
- 8/31/20: Violation of probation filed
- 10/1/20: Additional arraignment. Bail set
- 10/22/20: Charged with theft of a car from 4/10/20 after DNA evidence comes back
- 1/13/21: Sentenced to 9 months for violation of probation
- 1/29/21: Released from prison; credit for time served
- 2/2/21: Uncooperative assault victim appears for grand jury and Afet is indicted
- 2/18/21: Afet fails to appear
- 2/18/21 at 4:30 p.m.: Strong arm robbery of 74-year-old woman at Skyline Apartments. There is surveillance video
- 2/18/21 at 10 p.m.: Afet charged with robbery and booked at the Onondaga County Justice Center
- 2/19/21: Arraigned in City Court. People request $50,000 bail. The defendant is released with no bail set by the judge
- 2/25/21: Failure to appear and Bench Warrant issued
- 2/26/21: Indictment for assault reported
- 2/26/21: Connie Tuori murdered
- 2/26/21: Stole a friend’s car. From New York State Police: Unauthorized Use of a motor vehicle 3rd degree ( for operating a 2005 Honda Civic that was reported stolen from the Town of DeWitt). Charged with Aggravated Unlicensed Operation 3rd degree
- 2/28/21:Steals and crashes another car. Caught by New York State Police. Booked into Justice Center, no bail. From New York State Police: Criminal Possession of Stolen Property 3rd degree (she was operating a stolen vehicle from the city of Syracuse). Criminal Possession of a Controlled Substance 7th degree (possession of 1.5 grams of methamphetamine). Violating State Sanitary Code (possession of 9 grams of cannabis derivatives including hash oil, and THC)