NEW YORK STATE (WSYR-TV) — The former prison tailor serving time for helping Richard Matt and David Sweat escape from state prison in Dannemora in 2015, will soon walk free.
The State Corrections Department says Joyce Mitchell is tentatively approved for release in February, based on good behavior. The parole board has previously denied Mitchell’s bids for freedom three times, most recently in June.
She is currently housed at Bedford Hills Correctional Facility.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- New COVID-19 vaccination site open at SUNY Polytechnic Institute
- Madison County dealing with COVID-19 vaccine shortage
- SAT doing away with optional essay and subject tests
- NewsChannel 9 has you covered with the Buffalo Bills trip to the AFC Championship
- Rare white kangaroo born at Animal Adventure Park
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9