UNITED STATES (WSYR-TV) — Dick’s Sporting Goods has destroyed more than $5 million worth of assault rifles. CEO Ed Stack says the company turned the weapons into scrap metal.
The move comes after Dick’s made the decision last year to stop carrying the rifles following the mass school shooting in Parkland, Florida, that left 17 people dead. The company sold the shooter a shotgun. Even though it wasn’t the weapon used in the shooting, that largely impacted the company’s actions.
Dick’s also said it would stop selling high capacity magazines and raised its gun purchasing age to 21 from 18.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- Syracuse Police: Missing Syracuse University student fell into Onondaga Creek, search continues
- AP source: Ex-NBA star Kobe Bryant among nine dead in helicopter crash
- Jim Boeheim reacts to the death of Kobe Bryant
- ESPN: Kobe Bryant among 5 dead in Los Angeles helicopter crash
- WATCH: Brisk with snow showers becoming more widespread late tonight
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9