UNITED STATES (WSYR-TV) — Dick’s Sporting Goods has destroyed more than $5 million worth of assault rifles. CEO Ed Stack says the company turned the weapons into scrap metal.
The move comes after Dick’s made the decision last year to stop carrying the rifles following the mass school shooting in Parkland, Florida, that left 17 people dead. The company sold the shooter a shotgun. Even though it wasn’t the weapon used in the shooting, that largely impacted the company’s actions.
Dick’s also said it would stop selling high capacity magazines and raised its gun purchasing age to 21 from 18.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- CNY Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Answers Questions About Breast Augmentation
- Trick-or-Treat Lunch Ideas
- ACR Health announces access to medication that helps prevent spreading HIV
- Homer Fire Department remembering one of their own
- Cuomo signs law that gives breastfeeding mothers jury duty exemption
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9