UNITED STATES (WSYR-TV) — An outbreak of salmonella infections has been linked to pet turtles and the outbreak spreads across multiple states, including New York.
There have been 21 reported cases in 13states and seven people have been hospitalized, but no one has died.
The CDC is warning people to avoid buying small turtles from street vendors, websites or pet stores. They say the reptiles should not be kept as pets in homes with young children and warn people should always wash their hands when near turtles.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- “It’s A Wonderful Life” documentary premieres at the MOST
- Oswego woman leaves stinky surprise for ‘porch pirate’ who tried to steal delivery
- Governor Cuomo looks to ban gun ownership for out-of-state offenders
- WATCH: Windy with lake effect snow showers Sunday
- Fulton nine-year-old reaches goal to raise money for Honor Flight veterans
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9