UNITED STATES (WSYR-TV) — An outbreak of salmonella infections has been linked to pet turtles and the outbreak spreads across multiple states, including New York.
There have been 21 reported cases in 13states and seven people have been hospitalized, but no one has died.
The CDC is warning people to avoid buying small turtles from street vendors, websites or pet stores. They say the reptiles should not be kept as pets in homes with young children and warn people should always wash their hands when near turtles.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- CNY Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Answers Questions About Breast Augmentation
- Trick-or-Treat Lunch Ideas
- ACR Health announces access to medication that helps prevent spreading HIV
- Homer Fire Department remembering one of their own
- Cuomo signs law that gives breastfeeding mothers jury duty exemption
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9