(WSYR-TV) — Americans got hit hard in 2019 with a lot of robocalls, but a bill signed into law could slow them down.
YouMail, a company that provides a service to block robocalls, reported nearly 59 billion robocalls in 2019. That is up 22 percent from 2018.
Texas and California got the most robocalls with more than six billion each. Florida, Georgia, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, North Carolina and Illinois got more than 2 billion robocalls.
But, President Donald Trump recently signed a new Anti-Robocall bill into law. Officials can now fine companies $10,000 for each illegally placed call.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- How states are planning for coronavirus vaccine distribution
- DOJ announces national police training center to help reduce excessive force
- Florida considers not releasing daily COVID-19 case numbers to the public
- President Trump campaigns in Pennsylvania, Biden prepares for final debate
- Trump vs. Biden: Are there any undecided voters left?
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9