(WSYR-TV) — Late on Wednesday the Treasury Department announced that Social Security recipients who don’t normally file tax returns will not need to in order to get a stimulus payment.
This comes following sharp criticism that would have forced many seniors to file tax returns in order to get a relief check.
Government officials said they will use the information on Social Security forms to get those payments to seniors.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- Cleaning up downtown Syracuse after Saturday’s protests
- President of Auburn University posts letter on the current state of the nation
- George Floyd protests continue in Syracuse, demonstrators are peaceful
- Centro ending service at 8 p.m., Wegmans reduces hours amid curfew orders in Onondaga Co.
- NYS COVID-19 Update: Dentists can open statewide Monday
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9.