UNITED STATES (WSYR-TV) — Department stores like Macy’s have been struggling with losing business to online customers for years, but it turns out there might be another reason for sales dropping: Cheaper stores like Target and TJ Maxx.
A new study says lower-priced retail stores are actually seeing stronger sales both in stores and online. Sales at Target stores increased an average of 4.5% last quarter, mainly on clothing sales. Macy’s sales were down about 4% in the same quarter.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- WATCH: Onondaga County’s COVID-19 Update
- President of NYSCOPBA calls on state to act as coronavirus cases continue to rise
- Why do we eat this? Origin stories behind 3 notorious Thanksgiving sides
- Sean McDermott has high praise for Justin Herbert and the Chargers offense
- Cards for kids: Local campaign offering support for families across the country
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9