The New York State Police have announced that they are looking to recruit new candidates to join the force.
Opportunities within the State Police include training and membership in specialized units, as well as opportunities for advancement through the State Police ranks. Some of the specialized areas of expertise include positions such as: Crime Scene Evidence Technicians; Field Training Officers; Canine Handlers; Firearms Instructors; and Motor Vehicle Collision Reconstructionist.
Troopers are also eligible for assignments to specialized details and units
The organization will be holding a new trooper entrance exam this fall. Exams are scheduled for each Friday in October— Oct. 7, Oct. 14, Oct.21 and Oct. 28. These exams will be offered in various locations across the state.
In order to qualify you must:
- Be a citizen of the United States and be at least 20 years old by the application deadline.
- Not have reached their 30th birthday by the date of the application deadline. Except the maximum age may be extended one year for each year of full-time active Federal military duty – up to a maximum of 6 years.
- Be a New York State resident and have a valid New York State driver’s license at time of appointment
- Be able to pass a Physical Ability Test (PAT): sit-ups, push-ups and a one-and-one-half mile run.
- Be able to work rotating shifts any day of the week, including holidays.
- Not have any visible tattoos, brands, body piercings and other body art.
Must Have a:
- Graduate certificate from senior high school, Or
- New York State High School Equivalency Diploma; Or
- Military GED certificate, Or
- High School Equivalency diploma from another state converted to a NYS High School Equivalency Diploma
- Must have completed 60 college credit hours at an accredited college or university at time of appointment.
The starting salary is $53,993, which goes up to $90,827 after five years.
Applications must be submitted by Sept. 1. Results from the exam will establish an eligibility that can remain in effect for a minimum of four years.
Applicants can use PayPal to pay for the application fee in addition to a Visa or MasterCard. The application has also been optimized for mobile devices