SYRACUSE, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — This week on Newsmakers: The urgency of supporting careers in manufacturing. The Manufacturers Association of Central NY and its affiliate, Partners for Education and Business, are asking more companies and more school districts to get involved in this year’s Manufacturing Careers Day on October 4.
Dan’s guests are Lisa Mondello, communications director for SRC in Syracuse, and Doug Wehbe, a native of Tully and 2019 Binghamton University graduate who received SRC’s STEM college scholarship and two internships with the company, which then hired him immediately upon graduation. Mondello and Wehbe discuss the value of promoting modern manufacturing as a career for students as early as middle school, to help close the skills gap which leaves many local companies without a talent pool of qualified applicants for a large number of job openings.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- Chiefs’ Reid headed back to Super Bowl after long absence
- Not All Mahomes: Chiefs defense shuts down Titans game plan
- Syracuse women roll past Pittsburgh
- UPDATE: roads back open after car crashes into Baldwinsville building, causing gas leak
- WATCH: Very cold with a spray of lake snow continuing tonight