SYRACUSE, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — This week on Newsmakers: The urgency of supporting careers in manufacturing. The Manufacturers Association of Central NY and its affiliate, Partners for Education and Business, are asking more companies and more school districts to get involved in this year’s Manufacturing Careers Day on October 4.
Dan’s guests are Lisa Mondello, communications director for SRC in Syracuse, and Doug Wehbe, a native of Tully and 2019 Binghamton University graduate who received SRC’s STEM college scholarship and two internships with the company, which then hired him immediately upon graduation. Mondello and Wehbe discuss the value of promoting modern manufacturing as a career for students as early as middle school, to help close the skills gap which leaves many local companies without a talent pool of qualified applicants for a large number of job openings.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- Little Caesars donating 1M pizzas to hospitals, first responders
- Elder abuse concerns heightened amid COVID-19 isolation
- Some auto insurance companies returning money to customers during COVID-19 pandemic
- Facebook pairing with researchers to use its data to slow COVID-19 pandemic
- Bringing Together Deaf And Hard Of Hearing During COVID-19