ALBANY, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — Governor Andrew Cuomo has signed legislation to allow municipalities to better address zombie properties, an issue that has been plaguing the Syracuse area for years.
The Zombie Property Remediation Act of 2019 allows local governments to compel mortgage lenders to either complete a mortgage foreclosure proceeding or issue a certificate of discharge of the mortgage for any abandoned properties.
Zombie properties are abandoned homes that have been foreclosed by a bank. This bill would help reduce the number of lots sitting in legal foreclosure limbo for years.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- WATCH: Onondaga County’s COVID-19 Update
- President of NYSCOPBA calls on state to act as coronavirus cases continue to rise
- Why do we eat this? Origin stories behind 3 notorious Thanksgiving sides
- Sean McDermott has high praise for Justin Herbert and the Chargers offense
- Cards for kids: Local campaign offering support for families across the country
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9