NEW YORK STATE (AP) — Gov. Andrew Cuomo is proposing to allow counties to opt into regional lockups instead of solely operating their own facility. It comes as jail populations continue to plummet across the state.
The legislation from Gov. Cuomo is one in a long list of policy proposals included within his state budget proposal, on which lawmakers continue to hold hearings this week.
The governor’s office says the legislation will allow counties to lower costs by not maintaining their own separate facility.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- President Trump vows defense bill veto unless internet liability shield scrapped
- Police: 25-year-old shot in the face near Upstate Hospital, expected to survive
- WATCH: Lake effect snow for parts of Central New York overnight into Wednesday
- Juarez surpasses 2019 homicide totals despite lockdowns, pandemic
- Trump’s weakening of century-old bird preservation act worries South Texas environmentalists
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9