ALBANY, N.Y. (NEWS10) — Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo announced Tuesday that the state will invest in private companies to speed- and scale-up rapid COVID-19 testing capacity.
Businesses who want to work with the state to produce rapid tests on a large scale should contact Empire State Development by calling (212) 803-3100 or emailing COVID19supplies@esd.ny.gov.
Gov. Cuomo cited the largest single day increase in deaths due to the coronavirus in the state so far when remarking on the ongoing need to ramp up the manufacturing of tests.
“That’s 731 people who we lost. Behind every one of those numbers is an individual, is a family, is a mother, is a father, is a sister, is a brother.”Cuomo
Prior to the Monday to Tuesday numbers, the largest single-day increase was Friday to Saturday of last week.
Throughout New York, the majority of testing facilities are overextended, and only able to test high-risk individuals, like first responders, hospital workers, and the elderly. Many symptomatic and clearly ill individuals do not appear on official counts because they do not have a confirmed positive coronavirus test. Counties often refer to these patients as PUIs, which stands for “person under investigation.”
More from NewsChannel 9:
- City of Tonawanda police officer shot multiple times; suspect in custody
- Gov. Cuomo to meet with President Trump at the White House
- US lawmakers introduce bill that would give billions to schools, libraries for internet access
- Heavy police presence, suspect shot reported in Manlius
- Skaneateles honors student athletes with virtual NLI signing day
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9.