UPDATE: Squires was arrested on January 14 after a tip from a viewer.
SYRACUSE, NY (WSYR-TV) — Joan Squires, 59, is a Level 1 sex offender who has been flying under the police radar for more than a year.
“She’s kind of a ghost to us right now,” says Syracuse Police Warrants Unit Supervisor, Sgt. Mike Smith.
She vanished more than a year ago and may be homeless.
“We’ve checked homeless shelters. She hasn’t been a regular at any of them. They have no record of her,” says Sgt. Smith.
According to Syracuse Police, while Squires committed the sex offense in another state, under New York State law she is required to notify police within ten days of changing her address. She has not reported an address to police in over a year and is now wanted for felony failure to register as a sex offender.
She additionally has three warrants out of the Onondaga County Sheriffs Office for drug related issues and violating her probation.
Joan T. Squires is 5’6”, 135 lbs., has brown hair and brown eyes.
If you know where she is, call the Syracuse Police Warrants Unit confidential tip line at 315-442-5230.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- Bail Fail: Steuben County man arrested multiple times, then released
- Soccer players union promises to defend Olympic protesters
- State Police vehicle hit on Onondaga Lake Parkway
- Dave Matthews Band set to perform at St. Joseph’s Health Amphitheater at Lakeview
- 2020 SU football schedule unveiled
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9