(WSYR-TV) — New York State lawmakers met virtually to discuss how the pandemic has affected food insecurity.
State leaders said the number of people receiving SNAP benefits over the last four months has increased by more than nine percent.
That is where the Nourish New York Program comes into play — diverting extra food from farms and feeding 600,000 families across the state.
The state has spent $25 million on the initiative.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- Pelosi announces bipartisan deal to avoid shutdown
- Immigration agency bans in-person interpreters at asylum interviews due to coronavirus fears
- President Trump sets date to announce SCOTUS pick as GOP locks in votes needed to confirm nominee
- Pattern change will likely bring some relief to drought-stricken parts of CNY
- Police investigating after man dies in Herkimer Street shooting
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9.