(WIVB) – President Donald Trump is threatening to hold back the COVID vaccine from New Yorkers.
He says Governor Andrew Cuomo is to blame.
In response to President Trump’s comments earlier today, Governor Andrew Cuomo says, “None of what he said is true. Surprise, surprise.”
“We’re all excited about the possibilities about a vaccine. It’s not that people don’t trust the vaccine companies, the pharmaceutical companies … an overwhelming percentage of Americans are worried about political interference in the vaccination process and the approval process by the President,” Cuomo said. “The day they distribute the vaccine, we will be ready to start the distribution. Our review of the FDA protocol will be simultaneous concurrent with their delivery. We’re not going to have any lag in time. But I do want to say to the people of this state, ‘trust the vaccine.’”
The governor says seven states have independent panels to review it because the majority of Americans say they think it was a politicized approval process because the President has been so overtly political manipulating health officials.
“The question becomes, how do you shore up confidence, and a number of states said we’ll set up our own scientific panel, they’ll review the information, I then get to go to the people of New York State and say, I know you’re worried, don’t be worried, this is safe,” Cuomo added.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- Lawmakers push back as Trump threatens to veto defense bill
- Onondaga Co. breaks record number of new COVID-19 cases with 288, also reporting 7 new deaths
- Meet the Upstate Hospital team that transformed State Fair building into coronavirus testing site
- Incoming El Paso County DA to terminate 30 prosecutors, assistant DA says
- Slim Jim jerky recipe creator Lon Adams dies of COVID-19