POTSDAM, N.Y. (WWTI) — The first COVID-19 vaccinations have been set up in St. Lawrence County.
St. Lawrence Health System, SUNY Potsdam, the St. Lawrence County Board of Health and New York State have collaborated to establish the county’s first public vaccination center. The fieldhouse inside SUNY Potsdam’s Maxcy Hall was officially transformed on January 13 a mass vaccination location.
SLHS stated that clinical personnel are anticipating the distribution of the next round of the COVID-19 vaccine on Monday, January 18, 2021. The Health System also is working to establish clinics in Gouverneur and Massena, New York.
St. Lawrence Health System Chief Administrative Officer Jeremy Slaga commented on the vaccination center at SUNY Potsdam in adherence to state guidelines.
Slaga stated, “while we recognize that many members of our community would like to receive the vaccine, we must and will adhere to all federal, state, and local protocols and guidelines to aid in an equitable and transparent distribution process.”
Additionally, residents are asked to adhere to the following guidelines when making an appointment at the vaccination center.
- Check eligibility
- Wear short-sleeve shirts to appointment to ease vaccination administration
- Patients will be required to sit in a post-vaccination observation area for 15 to 30 minutes
- Patients are reminded they will need to return to the vaccine center for the second dose of their vaccination
- All patients will be required to provide proper identification
- Masks are required at all times
- Walks-ins are prohibited.
This site will provide vaccinations to eligible individuals in accordance with the New York State COVID-19 vaccination plan. As of January 13, phases 1a and 1b are open to residents.
Phase 1b includes the following:
- Fire fighters
- Police officers
- Corrections officers
- Public safety communications
- Sworn and civilian personnel
- P-12 school faculty
- Childcare providers
- Public transit personnel
- Individuals working or living in a homeless shelter
- Public-facing grocery store workers
- In-person college instructions
- Individuals 65 years of age or older
A full list of eligible individuals can be found on the New York State Department of Health website.
- Biden administration asks Congress to pass COVID-19 relief bill
- Buffalo Kickoff Live: Jan 21.
- Border wall construction goes on in spite of Biden mandate to stop it
- Family Healthcast: When to know if your child needs a COVID-19 test
- First on 9: Details on new initiative coming out of Thursday’s State of the City in Syracuse