SYRACUSE, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — Syracuse police have made two arrests in the April homicide investigation of 39-year-old Gregory Graves of Syracuse on the city’s west side.

Two suspects, 35-year-old Miguel Cruz of Liverpool and previous fugitive of the week 30-year-old Alexander Galan of Syracuse, were arrested for the deadly shooting that killed Graves. The shooting happened on Sunday night, April 16, just before 7:30 p.m. on the 400 block of Shonnard Street in Syracuse.

Syracuse Police said Graves was shot in the midsection and was transported to Upstate Hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.

A NewsChannel 9 photographer went to the scene of the crime that night where the Syracuse Police Crime Scene Unit was on the scene as well as heavy police presence along Shonnard Street. Geddes to Oswego Streets were closed while detectives searched for clues.

An investigation commenced by CID Homicide Unit detectives — in addition to several search warrants being executed and evidence recovered — led to the arrest of Cruz on Wednesday, April 19, three days after the shooting.

According to police, Cruz was found at the Hampton Inn on Route 31, where he was taken into custody by Syracuse PD SWAT Officers and Homicide Unit Detectives, without incident. He was later lodged in the Onondaga County Justice Center, where he is being held pending his arraignment.

Almost a month later, Galan surrendered himself to Warrant Squad Detectives at the Public Safety Building without incident on Wednesday, May 17.  He was lodged at the Justice Center where he awaits arraignment.

In regard to this investigation, both Alexander Galan and Miguel Cruz were charged with the following crimes: 

  • One count of Murder in the Second Degree
  • One count of Criminal Possession of a Weapon in the Second Degree. 

The city has had eight homicides so far this year.

The investigation is still active and ongoing. Anyone with information is asked to call the Syracuse Police Department at (315) 442-5222.