Chautaugua County ✮ Cattaraugus County ✮ Allegany County ✮ Steuben County ✮ Yates County ✮ Schuyler County ✮ Seneca County ✮ Tompkins County ✮ Chemung County ✮ parts of Ontario County ✮ Parts of Tioga County
Family Life: I’m a proud member of my family’s tradition of service in the military and law enforcement. I learned to work hard as a child helping out at my father’s restaurant in Rochester. I was the first in my family to attend college. I am married, raised two children who are now young adults and have stepchildren in the area who work for law enforcement and local industry. Raised in a Catholic family and a student of Catholic schools until college, I now attend St. Marks, an Episcopalian church in Penn Yan.
Currently a cybersecurity policy consultant. Is a former administrator at Cornell, professor of American and Constitutional History, Culture Law and Policy of the Internet.
Is involved with Ithaca Town Planning Board, is a Trustee of Tompkins County Library, an appointed member of Tompkins County Legislature Committee on Broadband.Website: Mitrano2020.com
Why Vote For Mitrano?
I will fight to revitalize the economy with good, 21st century jobs for the thousands of people who need them and support for our farmers in the culture and tradition of agriculture this district. How will I achieve that goal?
• Affordable health care. In Congress, I will work to ensure that every American—including those with pre-existing conditions—has affordable health care coverage that includes vision, hearing, dental and prescription coverage, offering a mix of private and public options.
• Addressing student debt. Young people who go to college to improve their earning potential wind up with crippling student debt. I support setting interest rates on federal student loans at administrative rates at about 2.5 percent and private loans at no more than 4 percent, with refinancing for those already paying down heavy student debt. I support universal Pre-K, competitive wages for teachers, and public access to associate degrees, because young people today need more than a high school diploma to get decent jobs at living wages.
•Support for agriculture. I will fight to return the USDA to its historical role as an advocate for small to medium farms, providing mentorship for new farmers, price supports like surplus-food programs and better trade deals with other countries.
•Infrastructure: Without good roads, public water and sewer systems and high-speed Internet service this district will never be able to attract the businesses we need to develop robust local economies—or competitive farms, for that matter. As a Member of Congress I will constantly push to bring 21st-century infrastructure to our district and other rural areas.
Those are the building blocks to bring investment into our beautiful district, whether it be in tourism, wine industry, or hunting and fishing, or for advanced manufacturing in 21st-century industries. We have so many wonderful attributes—now we need the will and the vision to make this great district flourish!
NewsChannel 9 has reached out to this candidate for additional information on their campaign.
Republican incumbent Tom Reed has held the 23rd Congressional seat since 2013. Democratic challenger Tracy Mitrano battled with Reed back in 2018 for the seat. Reed won that election with 54.2% of the vote. Mitrano had 45.8%.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- NYSIRC posts draft maps for voting districts
- After declining another run for Congress, Anthony Brindisi will instead run for new State Supreme Court seat
- Khalid Bey wins Syracuse Democratic mayoral primary
- Rep. Claudia Tenney not surprised Brindisi will not run again
- Dramatically low voter turnout in Syracuse mayoral primaries
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9.