UNITED STATES (WSYR-TV) — A familiar face in Central New York, Howie Hawkins has received the Socialist Party USA nomination for the 2020 presidential race.
Hawkins’ campaign says that’s one step closer to building a campaign to earn the Green Party endorsement, looking to earn nominations from several parties that range from Progressive to Socialist, uniting the independent left to challenge the democrats and republicans.
Hawkins is no stranger to running for office. He most recently placing third in New York’s Governor race. He supports clean energy, expanding funding for education and universal health care.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- Consumer Reports: Debt collectors can find you on Facebook and Instagram
- Second stimulus checks: New bipartisan effort to pass COVID relief
- Cuomo: Beware the ‘COVID Grinch’ this holiday season
- Syracuse named one of ‘Eight Smart Cities to Watch,’ by StateTech magazine
- Be on the lookout for fake shipping texts this holiday season
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9