UNITED STATES (WSYR-TV) — A familiar face in Central New York, Howie Hawkins has received the Socialist Party USA nomination for the 2020 presidential race.
Hawkins’ campaign says that’s one step closer to building a campaign to earn the Green Party endorsement, looking to earn nominations from several parties that range from Progressive to Socialist, uniting the independent left to challenge the democrats and republicans.
Hawkins is no stranger to running for office. He most recently placing third in New York’s Governor race. He supports clean energy, expanding funding for education and universal health care.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- WATCH: Most stay dry tonight and it will be a little more comfy too
- School districts prepare for the state’s guidance on reopening
- Jamesville-DeWitt School Board to discuss keeping school resource officer at next meeting
- Oneida County reports 3 more COVID-19 deaths Sunday; 5th consecutive day with at least 2 deaths
- Ithaca Police investigate armed robbery at a Byrne Dairy Saturday night
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9