UNITED STATES (WSYR-TV) — A familiar face in Central New York, Howie Hawkins has received the Socialist Party USA nomination for the 2020 presidential race.
Hawkins’ campaign says that’s one step closer to building a campaign to earn the Green Party endorsement, looking to earn nominations from several parties that range from Progressive to Socialist, uniting the independent left to challenge the democrats and republicans.
Hawkins is no stranger to running for office. He most recently placing third in New York’s Governor race. He supports clean energy, expanding funding for education and universal health care.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- Syracuse Fire Department responds to Byrne Dairy warehouse for high carbon monoxide levels
- Flying start: American swimmers do just fine without Phelps
- Man died after being shot with crossbow in Cortland County, State Police said
- Woman dies after fatal skydiving accident in Otsego County, State Police say
- Fatal Sunday morning motorcycle crash under investigation, State Police say
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9