UNITED STATES (WSYR-TV) — A familiar face in Central New York, Howie Hawkins has received the Socialist Party USA nomination for the 2020 presidential race.
Hawkins’ campaign says that’s one step closer to building a campaign to earn the Green Party endorsement, looking to earn nominations from several parties that range from Progressive to Socialist, uniting the independent left to challenge the democrats and republicans.
Hawkins is no stranger to running for office. He most recently placing third in New York’s Governor race. He supports clean energy, expanding funding for education and universal health care.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- Raiders player Carl Nassib announces he’s gay in Instagram video
- New Oneida Co. Commissioners explain changes made to prevent NY-22 mistakes from happening again
- TRAFFIC ALERT: Expect delays in downtown Syracuse as milling and paving begin on Clinton St.
- WATCH: See photos/videos of storm damage in CNY including downed trees, power outages
- WATCH: Severe threat has ended with just a few more showers expected tonight
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9