(WETM) – The New York State United Teachers (NYSUT) has endorsed Democrat Tracy Mitrano in the race for New York’s 23rd congressional district seat, currently held by Congressman Tom Reed.
“We need elected officials who will stand up for teachers, School-Related Professionals, medical professionals and those they serve,” said NYSUT President Andy Pallotta. “We believe this slate of candidates can best deliver for the New Yorkers who will rely on them in the halls of power.”
NYSUT, who did not endorse a candidate for the NY 23 in 2018, represents more than 600,000 members in education, human services, and health care.
“As a former teacher myself, this is a very meaningful endorsement,” said Mitrano. “NYSUT members deserve to have representatives who will see that they get the government support they need, especially now as we grapple with the question of reopening schools during a pandemic.”
In 2018 Congressman Reed received 54.2% of the vote over Mitrano’s 45.8%, and has held the seat since 2010.
The NY 23rd Congressional District covers Chautauqua, Cattaraugus, Allegany, Steuben, Yates, Schuyler, Seneca, Tompkins and Chemung counties and parts of Ontario and Tioga counties.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- Man killed in shooting near Syracuse’s eastside Friday night
- Watch: The Sunday Mass from the Syracuse Roman Catholic Diocese
- With Charlie Brown specials gone from TV, here’s how to watch them for free
- Record surge: US shatters single-day mark of COVID-19 cases
- Nashville mom, stepson charged in killing of 14-year-old boy with autism
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9.