SYRACUSE, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — A new Siena College-Syracuse.com poll revealed Democrat Dana Balter has a narrow lead over incumbent Republican John Katko for New York’s 24th Congressional District seat.
According to the poll, Balter leads 45% to 42%. In Syracuse specifically, Balter has a larger lead. The poll says she’s leading by about 17 percentage points among voters in the city of Syracuse.
The poll does have a margin of error of 5.1%, so it’s a statistical dead heat.
This is a rematch of the 2018 race where Katko defeated Balter by about five percent of the vote.
The Siena College-Syracuse.com poll is the first independent poll to come out on this race.
On the national stage, the Siena College poll shows that former Vice President Joe Biden leads President Donald Trump by 19 percentage points, among voters in New York’s 24th Congressional District.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- Tracking the Tropics: Gulf Coast braces, again, for hurricane as Zeta takes aim
- J-D boys cruise past Central Square
- Westhill tops Bishop Ludden in overtime
- LaFayette blanks Tully in boys soccer
- The future of the Senate: 35 seats up for grabs on election night
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9.