Update: 11:02 a.m. on Wednesday 9-25-2023: After a few short days of work, the tracks have been removed and the route is back open.
Update: 1:20 p.m. Monday 9-25-2023 – Work has begun on the removal of the train tracks on Route 290 near Liverpool Pool and Spa near the Interstate 481 overpass. According to the NYSDOT, the work is expected to last for about three days. Please plan accordingly and adjust your route if you normally travel this way.
DEWITT, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — We have an update on what’s known as a rough ride in DeWitt! Repairs are in the works for a railroad crossing that’s prompted dozens of complaints to the Your Stories Team.
The crossing located at NY 290 (Manlius Center Road) near Liverpool Pool and Spa and the I-481 overpass in DeWitt, not only produced angry calls and emails, but someone took it upon themselves to place a homemade sign last month that said, “Fix the Road.”
It appears CSX is listening!
A new sign is now up at the crossing, saying the road will be closed at the crossing starting Monday, Sept. 25.
According to the New York State Department of Transportation, the work is expected to take between three and six days.
While the work is ongoing, NY 290 will be closed to thru traffic. A spokesperson for the DOT said electronic signs will be placed miles away from the railroad crossing warning people about the closure.
Those who need to cross the tracks will need to find an alternate route.
The official detour provided by the DOT has drivers taking NY 5 (East Genesee and Erie Blvd.) through Fayetteville and Dewitt. Drivers will access NY 5 from Bridge Street or NY 257 (North Manlius Street), depending on which direction they’re traveling.
If people don’t need to cross the tracks, they’ll be fine to drive on 290 and their commute won’t be interrupted.
The DOT said the crossing will be removed by CSX and there are no plans to install a new track.
This comes on the heels of another problematic track being removed in Onondaga County. Last month, CSX removed a crossing at the intersection of 7th North Street and Hiawatha Boulevard, near Crouse-Hinds.
The YS Team reached out to CSX for more information on the repair, but we have yet to hear back.
Do you have a rough crossing in your area that needs repair? Here’s how to contact CSX.
Previous Your Stories:
- Your Stories Q&A: Cicero Chick-fil-A closes for a month to remodel
- Your Stories: What’s going on with St. Joseph’s Health and UnitedHealthcare?
- Your Stories Q&A: Would a government shutdown impact Social Security?
- Your Stories Q&A: Security upgrades made to Manlius Swan Pond
- Your Stories Q&A: What’s “coming soon” to former Mattydale Pizza Hut?
- Free at-home COVID tests are back: Here’s how to get yours
- Your Stories Q&A: What’s next for the former Tim Hortons site in Clay?
- Route 290 tracks in DeWitt removed, road has reopened
- Your Stories Q&A: Update on transforming former Will and Baumer site
- Your Stories Q&A: The plans for a vacant gas station in Westvale
- Your Stories Q&A: Construction starts on development in Clay
- Your Stories Q&A: When will new Great Northern owner fix the potholes?
- Your Stories Q&A: More WellNow Urgent Cares “temporarily closed”
- Your Stories Q&A: Here’s what’s being built near Cicero Walmart
- Your Stories Q&A: What’s being built near former Erie Blvd Pizza Hut?