TOWN OF SALINA, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — You ask, we answer!
Viewer Mary Burgen writes: What is being built at old skating rink on Route 11 in Mattydale?
This is the site of the former Sports-O-Rama skating rink. The building was torn down years ago. The property is located near the Big Lots and former Pizza Hut.
Town of Salina Supervisor Nick Paro, told the YS Team this will be the future home of a $6 million community center.
Paro said the funds for the project were approved by the Town of Salina Board over the summer. He said it will be funded by cash and bonds.
Paro said the plan is to build a 14,000 Square Foot community center, complete with an area for senior citizens to gather, a study room for teens and a large space that can accommodate up to 300 people. Paro said groups and organization will be able to rent out the space.
Paro said the park outside will be used for town concerts and movie nights.
He also added that the town is hoping the building will have a space to pay homage to The Wonderful Wizard of Oz author, L. Frank Baum. Paro said Baum spent a part of his life living in Mattydale.
As for where the project stands, Paro said the design phase is expected to wrap up in December. The town is hoping for construction to start early next year with the center being completed by the end of 2024.
The town released renderings of the project on its website, but officials cautioned the rendering will likely change as changes are made to final design.
Paro said the town sold its former Civic Center because it was outdated and a more modern facility was needed.
Have a question for the Your Stories Team?
Previous Your Stories:
- Your Stories Q&A: Will natural gas customers pay more this winter compared to last?
- Your Stories Q&A: What’s the latest on bringing Delta Sonic to Clay?
- Your Stories Q&A: Rescue Mission donation centers no longer welcome at Wegmans
- Your Stories Q&A: What’s the status of a new grocery store coming to Fayetteville?
- Your Stories Q&A: Is Hobby Lobby still coming to Oswego?
- Your Stories Q&A: Auto parts chain moving into former Clay Thrift Store
- Your Stories Q&A: Can businesses in NY tack on a surcharge to those paying with credit cards?
- Your Stories Q&A: Will home heating oil cost you more this year compared to last?
- Your Stories Q&A: Why are there signs with QR codes around the city of Syracuse, what are they for?
- Your Stories Q&A: Latest on closed Electronics Pkwy Hotel in Salina
- Your Stories: Cicero neighborhood notified to make mailboxes taller to continue postal service
- Your Stories Q&A: $6 million Community Center planned for Mattydale
- Your Stories Q&A: A question about tickets for Lights on the Lake
- Your Stories Q&A: Here’s when Crumbl Cookies in Clay is set to open
- Your Stories Q&A: 1920s cemetery chapel demolished in Lyncourt