SYRACUSE, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) – You ask, we answer!
A viewer named Sarah contacted the Your Stories Team with a question about security for Saturday’s CNY Pride Festival & Parade at Syracuse’s Inner Harbor.
“I simply want to ask if the city plans to increase security at Saturday’s Pride Parade due to the threat from the recently fired Destiny USA security guard?”
Earlier this month, Bruce Laveck, 21, was charged with “making a threat of mass harm.”
Laveck was fired from his job as a Destiny USA security guard, accused of threatening shootings at both the mall and the CNY Pride parade.
A judge ordered him to stay away from both locations.
Syracuse Police sent NewsChannel 9 the following statement when asked about added security for the festival and parade:
“Yes, we plan on having heightened security and are aware of the threat and monitoring.”
According to Jimmy Monto, Vice President of Development and Fundraising for CNY Pride, the organization planned to have extra security at this year’s event. He said the extra security was due to last year’s record crowd.
Since the alleged threat, Monto said CNY Pride has been in constant conversations with police and the Onondaga County District Attorney’s Office.
On CNY Pride’s website, it details some of the security plans for the festival and parade:
As required, in order to get permits for public events and street closures in the City of Syracuse, our current security plan includes the Syracuse Police Department at the perimeter of the parade and festival grounds and a contracted security team.
Previous Your Stories:
- Your Stories Q&A: What’s “coming soon” to former Mattydale Pizza Hut?
- Free at-home COVID tests are back: Here’s how to get yours
- Your Stories Q&A: What’s next for the former Tim Hortons site in Clay?
- TRAFFIC ALERT: Closure planned for busy route in DeWitt
- Your Stories Q&A: Update on transforming former Will and Baumer site
- Your Stories Q&A: The plans for a vacant gas station in Westvale
- Your Stories Q&A: Construction starts on development in Clay
- Your Stories Q&A: When will new Great Northern owner fix the potholes?
- Your Stories Q&A: More WellNow Urgent Cares “temporarily closed”
- Your Stories Q&A: Here’s what’s being built near Cicero Walmart
- Your Stories Q&A: What’s being built near former Erie Blvd Pizza Hut?
- Your Stories Q&A: When will repairs be made to Syracuse’s Hanover Square Fountain?
- Your Stories Q&A: How to report a rough railroad crossing
- Your Stories Q&A: What’s being built next to the Tully’s in Fayetteville
- Your Stories Q&A: North Syracuse School District not changing its name