(WSYR-TV) — You ask, we answer!
Scott Doody sent the Your Stories Team an email asking why a gallon of diesel so much higher than regular-grade gasoline?
According to AAA, the current price of diesel in the Syracuse market is $6.42 a gallon. A gallon for regular is $4.86.
A big reason diesel is skyrocketing is due to supply and demand. Patrick De Hann, head petroleum analyst for Gas Buddy, said the diesel inventory is near record low and demand is high because of the recovering economy.
Semi-trailers, trains and ships rely on diesel to move America.
De Hann said there’s not enough refining capacity to meet the growing demand. He said refining capacity has diminished. One of the problems has been the closure of a refinery in Philadelphia after an explosion at that plant in 2019.
According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA), the closure of the Philadelphia refinery decreased capacity on the east coast by approximately 100,000 barrels a day.
EIA reports diesel has costs more a gallon than regular-grade gasoline since 2004. Another reason it lists diesel as being more expensive is due to a higher federal excise tax.
Do you have a question about something happening in your neighborhood? Let the Your Stories Team know, and we will work to get you an answer!
Celebrate the Class of 2022
- Dryden valedictorian receives full ride to Ivy League college
- Class of 2022: ‘C-NS Standout’ senior attending college north of the border, studying foreign language
- Class of 2022: Liverpool valedictorian will attend Niagara University in the fall; major in computer science
- Class of 2022: Cazenovia Valedictorian attending RPI in the fall and playing field hockey
- Class of 2022: Meachem Elementary parade for Corcoran High School seniors brings back memories
- Class of 2022: Cato-Meridian senior says she wanted to be Valedictorian since she was a toddler
- Class of 2022: Oneida valedictorian to attend Boston University this fall
- Class of 2022: Corcoran High School Valedictorian will attend Ivy League in the fall, major in Pre-med
- Class of 2022: Valedictorian at Hannibal High School earns both college and high school diplomas
- Class of 2022: Nepal native graduating at the top of ITC High School class