TOWN OF HASTINGS, N.Y. (WSYR-TV)- You ask, we answer!
The Your Stories Team received a question about the closed Hastings rest area off of I-81 south in Oswego County.
The rest stop sits between exits 32 (Central Square) and 31 (Bartel Road, Brewerton).
The viewer was curious as to why the rest area is still closed and wondered if reopening would relieve some of the congested truck traffic at the Pilot Travel Center on 7th North Street in Salina.
According to the New York State Department of Transportation, the Hastings rest area was one of six to close in 2010 due to budgetary reasons. The DOT said the six were identified as older, smaller, and outdated rest areas.
“The Hastings rest area on I-81 south remains closed and, at this time, there are no plans to reopen it. However, truckers are allowed to park at the rest area during severe weather events when travel on I-81 is banned,” NYSDOT said in an email to the YS Team.
Back in 2010 when the rest area closed, the DOT also mentioned travel amenities in nearby Brewerton and a commercial rest area (Pilot Travel Center) in Salina as reasons the Hastings spot would remain temporarily closed.
For those not wanting to exit I-81 south to find a rest area, the nearest locations are 46 miles to the north in Watertown and 65 miles to the south in Whitney Point, according to NYSDOT.
Previous Your Stories:
- Your Stories Q&A: Will home heating oil cost you more this year compared to last?
- Your Stories Q&A: Why are there signs with QR codes around the city of Syracuse, what are they for?
- Your Stories Q&A: Latest on closed Electronics Pkwy Hotel in Salina
- Your Stories: Cicero neighborhood notified to make mailboxes taller to continue postal service
- Your Stories Q&A: $6 million Community Center planned for Mattydale
- Your Stories Q&A: A question about tickets for Lights on the Lake
- Your Stories Q&A: Here’s when Crumbl Cookies in Clay is set to open
- Your Stories Q&A: 1920s cemetery chapel demolished in Lyncourt
- Your Stories Q&A: What’s being built at Bear and Buckley Roads in Clay?
- Your Stories Q&A: Why has work stopped on the new Manlius Starbucks?
- Your Stories: Fluctuating gas prices at neighboring pumps
- Your Stories Q&A: How far will gas prices drop?
- Your Stories Q&A: Here’s what’s next for this closed North Syracuse Bowling Alley
- Your Stories Q&A: Mexican restaurant now open in former Camillus Applebees
- What’s being built at the old GJP Italian Eatery in Fulton?