AUBURN, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — The Auburn Police Department and Auburn Fire Department are investigating a rash of arsons that have happened across the city the last three months.
The first group of fires was set to structures, like porches and sheds.
- 03/11/20 Howard St. Shed Fire, around 2:30 AM
- 03/11/20 Howard St. Attempted Arson around 2:30 AM
- 05/14/20 Sherman St. Porch Fire around 12:30 AM
- 05/24/20 Genesee St. Dumpster Fire around 1:45 AM
- 06/10/20 Sheridan St. Porch Fire around 4:45 PM
The second group were fires that were set to vehicles.
- 06/08/20 Steel St. at 2:45 AM
- 06/14/20 Curtis Pl. around 12:45 PM
- 06/16/20 Mary St. around 4:30 AM
“The first vehicle was well engulfed and basically totaled,” said Detective Sean DeRosa. “The second vehicle, enough damage to the point where the insurance did total the vehicle. And the third vehicle, just yesterday, the fire never took full effect, so it did very minimal damage.”
Security footage did catch a person leaving the scene of a dumpster fire on Genesee Street on May 24, and police are looking to identify and interview that person.
According to officers, the suspect looks to be a while tale with a stockier build.
Anyone with information regarding any of the incidents is asked to contact Auburn Fire Department Investigator Travis Poole at (315) 253-4031 or email@example.com or Detective Sean DeRosa at (315) 255-4706 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Callers may remain anonymous.
More from NewsChannel 9:
- Schweinfurth Art Center completes air system upgrades as new exhibit opens
- Car thefts continue to be a problem across Central New York
- WATCH: Heat backs off for midweek but still very warm
- Second stimulus checks: Why $1,200 payments aren’t expected in August
- 1 sent to hospital after shooting in Ithaca
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9.