GREENSBORO, N.C. (WSYR-TV) — The Syracuse football team finally has some clarity for its 2020 football season. The Atlantic Coast Conference announced an 11-game schedule with 10 conference games and one non-conference game.
The ACC released each teams opponents. The playing dates and game times for each matchup are still to be determined. The 2020 season will begin the week of Sept. 7 to Sept. 12 and be played over 13 weeks with two bye weeks.
Syracuse will face Boston College, Duke, Georgia Tech, NC State and Wake Forest at the Carrier Dome. SU will travel to Clemson, Louisville, North Carolina, Notre Dame and Pittsburgh.
Any non-conference opponent would have to play at Syracuse and follow the ACC medical protocol requirements.
As a part of the changes to the schedule, there is only one division and Notre Dame is eligible for the ACC Championship. Each team will be included in the ACC’s bowl selection process.
The ACC Championship will be held on December 12 or December 19 at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, NC.
In addition to the changes for the football season, fall Olympic sports will also have changes. Teams will play a conference schedule that meets the NCAA minimum amount. For field hockey, women’s soccer and men’s soccer that is at least six games. Volleyball is 10 games. Cross Country teams can continue to schedule competitions at their discretion.
School’s can add conference opponents and non-conference opponents at their discretion as long as opponents meet the ACC’s medical standards. However, any additional conference games beyond the mandated amount would not count in the ACC standings.
Competition may begin on Thursday Sept. 10. Championship schedules for the fall season are below.
- The cross country championships will include all fifteen member schools be held at WakeMed Soccer Park in Cary, N.C. on October 30
- The field hockey championship will be held at Duke University on November 5, 6 and 8
- The top four teams will compete in the women’s soccer championship held at WakeMed Soccer Park in Cary, N.C. on November 6 and 8
- The men’s soccer championship will also include the top four teams and be held at WakeMed Soccer Park in Cary, N.C. on November 13 and 15
All fall competition for men’s and women’s golf, men’s and women’s tennis, rowing, men’s and women’s lacrosse, softball and baseball has been canceled. Practices may continue at the discretion of the school.
The ACC’s Medical Advisory Group has developed minimum standards for the conference to follow. The full report can be found here. Some notes from the report are below.
- In sports considered high risk by the ACC(football, basketball, volleyball, soccer, lacrosse, wrestling, field hockey and rowing) weekly testing must occur within three days prior to competition for members of the team and those in close contact with the team
- For sports in the medium risk category (Baseball, softball and cross country) team members and those in close contact with the team will be tested every other week. The test must be administered within three days of the first competition of the week
- Low risk sports (golf, tennis, fencing, track and field, as well as swimming and diving) would not require regular testing except for symptomatic members of a team
- Athletes, coaches and trainers are expected to wear a mask while on the sidelines
- Any athlete who tests positive for COVID-19 shall be isolated for at least 10 days, no return to play is allowed until the athlete completes isolation and is cleared by team physicians
More from NewsChannel 9:
- Daily Pledge: Diora, London, Mila, Max, and Jillian from Constantia – October 30th
- City of Syracuse offices closed Friday for a furlough day
- Picture of the Day: 10/30/20
- WATCH: The sun returns Friday, the chill lingers into the weekend
- One person taken to the hospital in early morning Syracuse shooting
For more local news, follow NewsChannel 9 on Twitter @NewsChannel9.