Cardiac ‘Cuse held true to its name as Jamie Trimboli gave the No. 5 Syracuse men’s lacrosse team (6-1, 2-0 ACC) its second straight overtime victory in a 12-11 defeat of No. 11 Duke (7-3, 0-1 ACC).
The game marked Syracuse’s sixth-straight one-goal decision which is a program record. The Orange’s six total one goal games also leads the nation, with ‘Cuse maintaining a 5-1 mark in those games.
Nick Mariano scored the final goal of regulation, tying the Orange up with the Blue Devils with 1:36 to play in the first four quarters of back-and-forth play. In the extra session, ‘Cuse again looked to go to Mariano, but Sergio Salcido’s pass was grabbed by Jamie Trimboli in traffic before it could get there. The freshman – who made his first career start on Saturday – stepped into the shot and buried the game winner from distance.
Led by Mariano’s three goals, seven players scored for Syracuse in a game in which neither team led by more than two goals. Both sides took 33 shots and Evan Molloy and Duke’s Danny Fowler matched saves at six. Mariano (3-1) and Salcido (2-2) each had four points on the day, While Brendan Bomberry (2-1), Nate Solomon (2-0), Jordan Evans (0-2) and Joe Gillis (1-1) posted multi-point efforts as well.
Despite losing the faceoff battle 16-10, Syracuse won five of the game’s final nine facemoffs thanks in large part to freshman Danny Varello, who finished 6-of-8 at the X.
“It was just another Syracuse lacrosse game in the year 2017,” said head coach John Desko. “It was another win for us in overtime, so hopefully we’ve been able to draw on our experiences in the past five games to help us in these situations. I thought Danny Varello did a great job in the second half getting us those possessions that we didn’t have in the first half.”
After thwarting an opening possession from Duke, the Orange struck quickly, capitalizing on its first opportunity with a goal from the stick of Sergio Salcido.
Duke responded off the ensuing faceoff, pushing the ball for a goal just 24 seconds later. The goal came from Joey Manown, with the assist credited to Reilly Walsh.
Having captured his first assist of the season on Salcido’s goal, Joe Gillis recorded his first goal of the year with 10:41 to go in the opening period. However, Duke responded immediately again, knotting things up with 10:17 to play on another goal from Manown.
After over five minutes of scoreless play, Brad Voigt put Syracuse back ahead, making an off-balanced catch on the crease and firing a fade-away shot past the Duke goalkeeper. The assist came from Jordan Evans.
Duke responded to even the score with a goal from Jack Bruckner, assisted by Justin Guterding.
After the first quarter ended knotted at three, the Orange pulled ahead again. Nate Solomon scored the second period’s first goal, off an assist from Salcido.
Stopping the Orange from pulling away at any point, Duke tied the game at four off an unassisted goal from Justin Guterding with 11:44 to play in the half.
The Blue Devils took their first lead of the game on the following possession, winning the faceoff and eventually working the ball to Bruckner, who finished off the possession with a goal assisted by Guterding.
About three minutes later, Duke took the first multi-goal lead of the game, pushing its lead to two off a goal from Brad Smith. Kevin Quigley recorded the assist on the play.
Having been held scoreless for over 11 minutes, the Orange finally got the response it needed, with Nick Mariano scoring on an unsettled situation.
After heading the Orange headed into the halftime locker room trailing by one, the team capitalized on a man-up opportunity to open the third quarter, knotting the game at six. Salcido scored the goal for his second goal, and third point of the day.
A defensive stalwart took over the following 11 minutes, as both teams experienced scoreless droughts. The goalless streak was snapped as Marcus Cunningham forced a turnover, leading to a Syracuse fast break that was capped off with an assist from Evans and a goal from Bomberry. The goal pushed the Orange ahead, 7-6, with 3:15 to play in the third.
With 1:01 to go in the period, the Orange extended its lead to two as Mariano scored an unassisted goal, sneaking a ball past the Duke goalkeeper into the top left corner of the cage. The goal was the 100th of Mariano’s career.
Holding Duke scoreless for the entirety of the third quarter, the Orange entered the game’s final period holding onto an 8-6 advantage.
After Duke snapped the four-goal Syracuse run on a goal from Bruckner eight seconds into the fourth period, Solomon pushed the Orange lead back to two with 13:19 to go in the game, scoring on an assist from Mariano while taking a big hit.
John Prendergast brought the Blue Devils back within one, cutting across the field and scoring an unassisted goal with 9:59 to play.
After Guterding knotted the game up two minutes later, Bruckner netted his fourth goal of the game with 6:45 to play, giving Duke a 10-9 lead, its first advantage since the 14:25 mark in the third quarter.
Scoring the fourth straight for the Blue Devils, Manown scored his third of the day to push the Duke lead to two. Six seconds later, the Orange ended the Blue Devils run, as Varello won the face-off and assisted Bomberry on the fast break goal. With 6:23 to play, Duke held an 11-10 lead.
As if on cue for the season, Mariano brought the Orange back, tying the game with 1:26 to play on an unassisted goal. The Mariano score was enough to push the Orange to overtime, where Trimboli ended the game.
The Orange will continue ACC play as it travels to face-off with Notre Dame on April 1 at Noon.